代表ブログフロンティア・フォーラム

日本をよくする提言から多様性を高める主張、ギャップイヤー文化構築提案まで、
多種才々なイノベーター達のエッセイ集

「会津若松で想うこと」ao.jpg 

※Japanese followed by English Translation

青 晴海
独立行政法人 国際協力機構(JICA)
青年海外協力隊事務局審議役(2011年8月当時)

会社に入って26年目の今年、初めてボランティア休暇を取って、今、福島県会津若松に来ています。これまで有給休暇を消化していない私が、JICA若手有志が支援する会津若松市で避難者支援をしている「元気玉プロジェクト」にボランティア休暇を使ってここに来たのは、今年3月の大震災があったからですが、ここには、実に様々な人がボランティア活動に来ています。
日本の若者は、はたして"内向き"か
 その中心が大学生達で、楢葉町や大熊町から避難してきた住民の子どもの支援や8月上旬に発生した福島・新潟の大雨の影響で被災した山間地の復旧の泥出しのために、毎日懸命に活動をしています。その姿を見ていると、"日本の若者が内向き思考である"という曖昧な認識と、実態とは少し違うのではないかと思えてきます。

" 自分の眼で見る経験"の大切さ
 この3月の震災を契機として多くのボランティアが復興支援のため、ぞくぞくと東北に入り始めました。現場に入り、何かの役に立ちたいという気持ちや、自分の眼で現実と向き合う姿勢は、横から見ていても眩しく映ります。今回の震災では、私もあらためて、世間で常識とされていることを鵜呑みにするのではなく、自分の眼で見たこと経験したことなどを通じて、確信を持つことが必要だ、という思いを強くしました。

ギャップイヤーに対する想い
 昨年11月に有志が集まって始めた「日本版ギャップ・イヤー制度勉強会」も、何か行動を起こしたいという若者の声を、周囲の人たちがもっとじっくり話を聞く場が必要ではないか、という思いで始めた勉強会でした。合計3回の勉強会では、口コミによる広報にも関わらず毎回、想像以上に多くの学生や社会人に参加して頂きました。この勉強会の意見を更に多くの人たちに知って頂くために、本年6月には「ギャップイヤー」に関するシンポジウムを開催しましたが、これは300名を超える参加者がありました。

若者の話に耳を傾けるとエネルギーが沸いてくる
 「ギャップイヤー」に特定のパターンはありません。高校を卒業して1年間かけて世界中で活躍する日本人に会いに行った若者や、青年海外協力隊を経た後に日本企業と海外のNPOの人材交流を行う団体を設立した若者など、多様です。その経験の中から、新しい発想の芽が生まれ、企業のイノベーションも生まれることでしょう。若い人たちの話を聞くにつけ、自分が学生時代に春・夏・冬休みは必ずといってよいほど農家に行って実習をしていた時期を思い出します。そして、学生の話を聞いているだけで、体の中にエネルギーが沸いてくる気がします。

各界から同期でギャップイヤー推進の声
 不思議なことに、昨年末から「ギャップイヤー」を推進すべきであるという声が、政府や経済団体の提言に盛り込まれ始めています。日本は資源に乏しいので人材が全て、とは以前から言われていることですが、まさに人材をという意味では、日本を挙げて全力で取り組む重要な課題なので当然の提案であると思います。

グローバルな視点を持った若者は国内の課題解決にも力を発揮する
 企業の国際化がますます進むという現実の中で、企業は「グローバルな視点を持った人材」を必要としています。グローバルな支援を持った人材は海外との関係を持つ人だけが必要とする力でなく、国内の課題解決をするためにも欠かせないものです。「グローバルな視点を持った人材」とは、問題解決力、コミュニケーション力、異文化適用力をつけた人材です。このような力は机上で学べることには限界があります。

机上の学習では限界~"経験重視"のギャップイヤーは社会の制度として共有すべき
 例えば、問題解決力は、問題の壁に直面し、その壁を乗り越えるから力がつくように、それを机上でいくら分析しても、それが身につく、ということにはならないでしょう。企業の中でイノベティブな事業を起こすーションを起こす、地方都市の活性化に取り組む、といった様々な将来に向けた若者の想いを実現するためには、「経験する」ことが最も重要な要因であり、「ギャップイヤー」はそのために、社会が制度として皆が共有しなければならない制度と考えます。

平成23年8月12日
福島県会津若松「元気玉プロジェクト」に参加して

My thoughts in the City of Aizu-Wakamatsu,Fukushima

Harumi AO JOCV Secretariat Executive Director
Japan International Cooperating Agency(JICA)

This year, I took a long-term vacation for the very first time in the 26 years of my working in the company, in order to participate in a volunteer work. I am now in the city of Aizu-Wakamatsu, Fukushima. Although I was the type of person who did not even use up my paid vacation, I was determined to take off from my job to work as a volunteer after the 3.11 earthquake, through a JICA-supported volunteer group called "Genki-dama Project", which has been helping out 3.11 refugees in Aizu-Wakamatsu. There are varieties of people coming from all over the country to participate in this project.

Are the Japanese youth really introverted?
College students are playing the important role in this project, and they are working really hard to take care of children who evacuated from smaller towns such as Naraha and Okuma: they are also trying to get the mud out from the mountain areas which were affected by the heavy rain that occurred in Fukushima and Niigata in early August. Looking at how hard they work, I began to question myself if the ambiguous idea toward the Japanese youth was even true.

The importance of "seeing things with our own eyes"
Many volunteer workers began to get together in Tohoku area after the earthquake in March. The worker's willingness to serve others and their strong attitude to face the reality shines brightly. This earthquake gave me the chance to realize once again that we need to see things with our own eyes, and to have our own opinion based on what we have observed, rather than just trusting what we have been informed from others.

My thoughts toward the Gap Year System
"Study sessions of Gap Year System in Japan" were held in November last year by those who were interested. The meeting was started based on a thought that there needed more opportunities to listen to the opinion of young people who were interested in taking actions. There were three study sessions total, and although it was spread only by word of mouth, each time we had more students and adults than we expected in attendance. In order to introduce the opinion shared in these sessions, we had a Gap Year Symposium, and we had more than 300 people participate in that.

Getting greatly encouraged by listening to the young people
There are no specific patterns in the Gap Year. There are some who traveled using a year after high school graduation to meet other Japanese who are active in all over the world, and there are some who, after working in the JOCV, established organizations which exchange personnel with NPO overseas and so forth. Through their experiences, there comes a new ideas of causing innovation in their business. Whenever I listen to what the young people have to say, I remember the time when I would go to farms almost ever school vacation and get training. Having that kind of experience myself in the past, I always get greatly just by listening to younger generations, and energy starts flowing in my body.

The voice to promote the Gap Year, coming from all over the world
Interestingly, from the end of last year, government and economic organizations began to include in their suggestions that they should promote the Gap Year. It has been said that human resources are all we have in Japan, because the country is poor in other resources. Getting more human resources is one of the essential tasks to work on as a country, and in that sense, I think the government proposal was quite a proper response.

Young people with global perspectives also exert their abilities in solving domestic problems
With the increasing internationalization of companies, they are in need of people with global perspectives. Those with global point of view are needed not only to establish fine relationships with other countries, but also to solve problems within the country. "Human resources with global perspectives" are those with problem-solving skills, communication skills, and with cross-cultural application. These abilities cannot be earned just from books.

Learning just from textbooks has limitation- "Experience-oriented" Gap Year system should be shared as a social system
Problem-solving skills, for example, can be earned only by facing and overcoming problems, and no matter how well you analyze that kind of skill on paper, it does not do you any good. To realize the variety of dreams that young people have in their minds, such as to cause innovation in a company, or, to activate the local cities, their "experience" becomes the key factor. Having that in mind, I consider the Gap Year system as something which all should share as a social system.

Aug. 12, 2011
After participating in the "Genki-dama Project" in Aizu-Wakamatsu, Fukushima.

(Translated by Osamu NAKAZAWA)

記事一覧

フロンティア・フォーラムトップページへ戻る

アーカイブ